November 11, 2013

giving back - thanksgiving baskets

This past weekend we put together some Thanksgiving baskets using non-perishable foods like cans and boxes that we collected from friends to give to families in need.

I started Hermanos this year. Hermanos means "brothers" in Spanish and it can also mean her "hands". Hermanos is a small community service group raising money and donations to give back to people in need.

We were so grateful with the amount of donations we received of cans and boxed foods. Our goal was to make 8-10 baskets of Thanksgiving food to give to local families through the local Community Services department and Food Bank. 

We wanted to include food like stuffing, mash potatoes, corn, peas, gravy, pasta, rice, and a cake mix in each basket. We will also be donating turkeys. I am still working on baskets this week and all the leftover cans and food will be donated to the local Food Bank to also pass out for the holidays. I am looking forward to leaving these off this week.

I am so grateful for all the things in my life. I have a roof over my head and food in my stomach. I have a wonderful family and a very supportive partner in my life. We should all be happy and grateful in life. Sometimes there are things that come up, not good things, things we have experienced and endured and some of us continue to endure. It's normal that these things might get us down, but we have to keep moving forward. Keep positive and remember to always be hopeful, never lose that.

There are always people that are in more need then we are. You might not have a car, but someone else might not have a home to sleep in. You might not have a job, but someone else might not have their health.

Look at the positive things in your life. Those positives don't have to be materials. You have everything you need with you: your mind, spirit, your strength, your will, your personality and with those things you are unstoppable.

This year I want to give back more. I strongly believe the more you give the more you will receive. I give, I receive happiness. I am looking forward to giving these for families to be able to eat this Thanksgiving.

I wish you a beautiful week and remember to be kind to one and other.

No comments :