March 21, 2009

Milagros





Milagros and the meaning of them have inspired my new painting "Milagros". Which is a little girl who is wearing three milagros, a heart, a hand and a wish bone (charm) She holds her little hand because she uses them to work hard and they hurt. She wears her heart milargro for protection of her heart.

What exactly is the meaning of Milagros?...Well that's a very good question.

Milagros are small silver or gold offerings in the shape of arms, legs, eyes and other body parts; animals, fruits, vegetables, etc. They are often attached to statues of saints or to the walls of certain Mexican churches and now are also found as components in necklaces, earrings and other jewelry. In the classical sense, milagros are offered to a favorite saint as a reminder of the petitioner's particular need, or they are offered to the saint in thanks for a prayer answered.
Think of an Italian cornicello, the Italian horn, amulet worn around the neck to ward off evil.

If, for example, someone has a sore arm, a tiny silver arm is hung on or near the favorite saint; the farmer who hopes that his pig will bear him many healthy piglets, asks his patron saint for intercession, and pins a pig milagro on the saint's robe.

I love charms and believe is them very much. I have a greek eye, to protect from the "evil eye" and I wear little charms on necklaces and I think they are such beautiful pieces of jewelry.

I think its important that what you wear has meaning and I try to make sure the pieces I wear have meaning to me.
Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

what a lovely video! I just love see art in the making. thank you for sharing a glimpse of your process.

i also agree with wearing what has personal meaninng. i think it gives each piece an energy, positive energy. and lots of amazing things can happen when we encourage and fuel that positive energy.

TheFancyChola said...

Hey thanks so much for stoping by my blog..yes I have been out of the loop for a while..computer problems, plus family life have my hands pretty full right now..I am hoping to update soon, and add to my etsy! Your site looks fabulous as usual and Sola is awsome! Happy spring! P.S. I love milagros too, miracles are always a good thing right? I think I need to add some more "body parts" to my collection now that I am in my 30's!