November 21, 2014

Updating Vintage Christmas Ornaments


I have been searching for vintage or vintage inspired ornaments to add to the Christmas tree this year. Like many people I get a feeling of nostalgia when I see little flocked santas or reindeers. I remember them hanging on my Christmas tree in the early 80s. It takes me to a time when I was just a child with no worries or cares in the world. I got to spend time with my mom and siblings everyday. I looked forward to playing with my Barbies and drawing.

Recently, I was walking around Target and I found the cutest ornaments, they were flocked little deers and they automatically brought me back to my childhood. I grabbed just a few and happily made my way to checkout. The checkout lady loved the little deer and said she would grab the rest later. Darn. I should have gotten them all. I went back a few days later and they were all gone. Yanni knew how much I wanted them, so he took me two a few more Targets, no luck, but at the last one we found a few more. Victory! I feel complete again.


This spurred my interest in looking for other ornaments that reminded me of my childhood. Who would have thought - the 80's is now considered vintage.  I have been having so much fun finding awesome vintage ornaments on Etsy. I found these cute snowmen on the Etsy Vintage Shop, Tilly Fritz.

In order to update these little reindeer and snowmen I used ribbon, pipe cleaners in different colors, mini candy canes, santa hats I found at Michael's, some mini pom poms and some hot glue.


For the little deer I painted a few with red noses, and made these little wreaths in different color pipe cleaners and hot glued mini ribbons I made.


For the little snowmen I cut some pipe cleaners to give the little snowmen some arms. I hot glued the little white pipe cleaner for arms on his body, and mini little candy canes, mini wreaths, or mini little trees to his arm.


These were so fun to make. I am now on the look out for some more flocked christmas ornaments.

What holiday crafts are you making or planning for this holiday season? I would love to see them.

Happy Holidays!



No comments :