January 29, 2015

Heart Shaped Brownies


I have a confession to make. I love chocolate and need it every single night. I love eating my chocolate with milk before bed. It's so 8 years old of me, but I am never going to stop. It can be chocolate truffles, cookies, cake, chocolate bars, or even a glass of chocolate milk. One treat I want to include in my nightly chocolate ritual is brownies. But I haven't been able to truly accomplish making the perfect brownie. Sometimes they are too dry or not chocolatey enough for me. Well, I finally did it folks. In honor of Valentine's Day, I made chocolate brownies that I cut using Wilton's Hearts Nesting Cutter set, dipped the heart shaped brownies in chocolate ganache and sprinkled some toppings like shredded coconut and hazelnuts.

Brownie Ingredients (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

1 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into six 1-inch pieces
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Dark Chocolate Ganache
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
2 teaspoons of light corn syrup
2 teaspoons water
Rainbow sprinkles, or any other toppings, I like shredded coconut or chopped nuts.

Directions for Chocolate Ganache
Place the chocolate, butter, corn syrup, and water in a medium bowl. Melt in microwave, for about 2 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until completely melted and smooth. Your time may vary, so keep a watchful eye. You do not want to overheat the chocolate.  Dip the tops of the donuts into the chocolate glaze and then cover with sprinkles.

Directions for Heart Shaped Brownies
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line foil in 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Spray foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.


Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in medium bowl.


Heat butter and chocolate in large microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds, then stir and heat for 30 seconds more. Stir again, and, if necessary, repeat. Do not let chocolate burn. You will know you went too far is the chocolate is hard to stir, looks dark and chunky. It should be smooth and creamy.

When chocolate mixture is completely smooth, I move into another bowl and I gradually whisk in sugar. Add eggs. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture little by little, then stir, continue doing this until all the flour is combined.



Transfer batter to prepared pan. Spread batter into corners of pan and smooth surface.


Bake until toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into center of brownies comes out with few moist crumbs attached, 20-25 minutes. 

Once out of oven lift foil and place foil and brownie on top of a wire rack to let cool off.


Once brownie is cool enough, press heart cookie cutter into brownie.


Very important - remove extra pieces around cookie cutter and enjoy with milk. 



Dip top of brownies in chocolate ganache.



Set on parchment paper and add some favorite toppings. I sprinkled shredded coconut, sprinkles and chopped hazelnut on a few.



Happy Valentine's Day!! And enjoy these with friends, loved ones, or happily alone without sharing with anyone.


2 comments :

Claire said...

So cute and they look delicious. I am drooling just looking at this. I just have to make these for Valentines day.

PeachyCheek said...

Hi Claire! Thanks so much for stopping by. They were so good. I just have to make one more batch :) This time around I might dip them in a white chocolate ganache!