February 27, 2015

Pendleton and Ugg Collaboration


This is long overdue and finally had a chance to sit down and write this down. 

My relationship with Pendleton started about 20 years ago and I was about 12 years old and my mom and I went into a Pendleton shop. I never had been there before. I saw some sweaters and scarves and was roaming around the shop when a beautiful and bright print caught the corner of my eye. And there at the corner of the shop were these beautiful woven blankets and a bag that I connected with immediately. I had never seen anything like it before.  I was in awe of the leather, the craftsmanship, and beautiful Native American wool with intricate designs and colors. At that age, I imagined wearing it to school and carrying my notebooks in it. But, I looked at the price tag and put it back down. My sweet mother came over and saw me looking at it. She knew I wanted it and she knew the connection I had with it. She understood me. She knew exactly what I was thinking and knew this was unlike anything else I had ever wanted. I never really wanted or asked for anything before, this was one of the first things I had ever really wanted. She picked it up and I will never forget that she bought it for me.

I cherished this bag for years and used it throughout many years of school to carry my textbooks, notes, pencils, and pens. I carried it proudly.

But, one day, during my senior year in high school I foolishly put it down while talking with friends in the parking lot and someone accidentally backed up their car and ran it over. This bag was strong and recovered, but the leather and wool was torn down the middle. And I was so terribly hurt that this happened to my bag. I couldn't look at it without a lump in my throat. I hid it in the back of my closet, so I couldn't see what had happened to it. I would pull it out from the closet once in a while to look at it. At that time I didn't know the magic of leather and wool repair, if I had known I would have taken it there right away. After a period of time I donated it.

Years later I still would think of my bag anytime I would see a Native American print. I never saw another bag like it again. I would routinely look on the Pendleton website and looked at second hand stores, but I couldn't find one like it.

One day to my surprise Yanni found one and surprised me with it. It was gently used. Of course, it wasn't the one my mother had bought me many years ago, but it looked almost just like it and it felt like the closest thing to it. I hugged the bag and promised I wouldn't let anything happen to it.  I use this bag now as an adult and take it to meetings and conferences. Everytime I look at it and it brings me back to that very day with my mom and makes me smile.



Pendleton has a long history working with Native Americans. I have always been very fond and respectful of the Native American culture. Their beautiful designs and art have always spoken to me. I have admired their turquoise jewelry, art, stories, and overall culture. As a young child I would read about their history and culture and it resonated with me.  

Since then I have collected a few of their pieces. Last year for Valentine's Day, Yanni bought me the Pendleton headset, I have a Pendleton iPad case, my beloved bag, and now the Ugg and Pendleton collaborated boots. I also recently received a laptop case handmade with Pendleton wool for a Christmas gift from Yanni.

When I first saw the boots I knew they were perfect for me. I haven't taken them off since I got them. I went to the mall the other day to pick up something and I was stopped numerous times by young girls that loved these boots. I looked and some of the girls and they were about my age when my mom first bought me my Pendleton piece. They were excited about the collaboration when I told them about it. I hope I contributed to their first piece and helped make some happy memories.

Next on my list is their Sugar Skull makeup bag, the Chief Joseph blanket in aqua, their black feather bag, and on my wish list is this beautiful chair.

And most recently, Pendleton collaborated with Roxy to introduce a line of swimsuits. I am so excited about this and can't wait for summer!! Watch this video here for more information: Roxy x Pendleton Collaboration

No comments :