August 30, 2015

14th Anniversary



Today, Yanni and I celebrated our 14th anniversary. I can't believe how many years it has been since we first started dating.

15 years ago my sister introduced me to Yanni. I was a senior in High School and would visit my sister at her University, where she met Yanni and luckily introduced me to. I was smitten as soon as I met him and knew right away that I would be with him. We got to know each other through handwritten notes that we would send each other back and forth.

I am so grateful that I found a partner in my life that I get so along with. He is truly my best friend. He and I are so alike, yet so very different. And I think it's important that you have a partner that is different because you can learn lots from each other and balance each other out. For example, sometimes I can be a little hot head, yet Yanni has the patience of a saint and is so understanding. He always sees the best in people; he's funny and loves talking to people; from the Post Office to the restaurants we go to, he always meets a new person that he strikes a conversation with and makes someone else smile. He's kind and has a big heart. I am much more reserved and it takes me time to get to know people and then open up.

But, our differences makes me better. It makes me want to do things I normally wouldn't do and vice versa. Taekwondo was so important to me, and I wanted to do it, and I had him join too and now it's something we both share. I love to read and he didn't, yet I got him into reading and now he loves it and we share books with each other. I have to admit I didn't like documentaries, and he got me into that genre and now I am hooked. We balance each other out.

There isn't a time we argue, it is very rare, and if we do, we talk about it, and see eye to eye, we respect each other and we move on.  It also helps that he has that saintly patience. He is willing to do everything for me and with me. He goes with me to my craft shops, shoe shopping, and to buy makeup. Never once does he complain, but instead urges me to take my time.

And most importantly, he makes me laugh. Every day and all day. There isn't a day that goes by that my stomach or jaw doesn't hurt from all the laughter.

It's been 14 years and I still smile when I see him. He makes me so happy.

On this day, we celebrate 14 years, and we didn't do anything fancy. We both know each other so well, and we knew we both just wanted to stay in. We picked up food from our favorite local Italian restaurant. I had to get spaghetti and meatballs because it's my absolute favorite. I could live off of spaghetti and meatballs, loads of parmesan cheese, and cheesy garlic bread. Be still my little heart; that dish, so simple, yet so classic.

We picked up our favorite ice cream cake from our favorite local ice cream shop. We watched movies, played some games, I listened to him play the guitar, he watched me make some jewelry, we practiced Taekwondo, and went for a walk. We talked, laughed, and enjoyed each other's company; these are the little things we do together as partners. These are things I want to do for another 14 years and more with him by my side.



1 comment :

Stefanie said...

Happy aniversary!!!!! Nothing beats a night at home.