May 5, 2015

Lemon Poppy Muffins




I have been craving lemon poppy seed muffins ever since my mom and I had an extra large one at Peet's Coffee & Tea shop. It had some hints of orange zest too and tasted magnificent. That was about 2 years ago and I haven't gotten my mind off of them and I was finally able to remember to make them while I had all the ingredients in the house. These taste devine. I may have already stuffed myself with about 4 of them.

Ingredients
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
1 lemon for its zest and juice
3/4 milk or buttermilk
6 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
2 eggs

First, preheat oven to 400 degrees and place muffin liners in muffin pan. This recipe will make 12 muffins.


I washed and dried 1 lemon and then using a small cheese grader I grinded the lemon. Combine the sugar with the lemon zest.

Next, combine all the dry ingredients, except the poppy seeds. Now add all the wet ingredients. Lastly add the poppy seeds.

 
Fill each muffin liner equally and put in the over for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.


I took mine out about a minute early, and stuck a butter knife in each to ensure they come out dry. I let them cool for a bit and then moved them over to a wire rack.



These have the perfect taste of lemon, not too overpowering, it's just right. These make a great addition to breakfast or a brunch, or put them in a basket and deliver them to a sweet family member or friend, just make sure you keep one.

No comments :