October 20, 2015

Pumpkin Pinata


Everytime I make a pinata I swear it is my new favorite.  I have a little place in my heart for each one. My first pinata was the Donkey, then I made a cactus pinata, Snoopy pinata,  a series of retro inspired pinatas - soda pop, burger and fries, and last, but not least, my Day of the Dead Sugar Skull pinata.

But really, this time this is it, this pinata is my favorite. He is just so cute with those two missing teeth and cute little green stem. He isn't perfectly round either, and it just adds to his cute little quirky self. He is going to be the perfect centerpiece to my Halloween table this year. He measures about 2 feet long and 3 feet wide. These would also be very cute as mini pumpkin pinatas filled with candies. 

So how do you make this cutie? All you need is:
  • Large box of cardboard
  • Tape (packing tape or duck tape)
  • Glue
  • Streamer paper
  • Construction paper


Two get started, find a large cardboard box, flatten it completely. Next, draw out the pumpkin shape with a marker. Next cutout the shape to make two identical pumpkin shapes. It is important that they are identical. 


Next, cut out long pieces of cardboard, all of these pieces must be the same width, this will be the width and sides of your pumpkin. Tape these cardboard strips all along the two identical pumpkin cardboard cutouts. Here is a video of my creating a skull pinata, it will show you how to tape the two pieces together. 


Using orange streamer paper cut small slits on the bottom side. I usually roll a bunch together and cut the little slits, this saves a lot of time. I then glue the strips starting at the bottom until you go all the way to the top. I then added little green streamer for the top stem.


Next, using black construction paper cut out two large triangles for the eyes and one small triangle for the nose. I then cut out a smile (half circle) and then cut out one tooth on top and one for the bottom.




He makes a perfect pinata for a party to fill with candy, but as usual, I don't have the heart to break him open, so he is going to stay a little pumpkin forever with me.  Enjoy!!

No comments :