May 14, 2014

may 2014 birchbox review and the importance of sunscreen


My May birchbox arrived. I love getting little packages in the mail. This one was all about fun in the sun, but also the importance of being safe in the sun. I am going to share with you a little bit of the box, but also want to share with you the importance of sunscreen.


First, my favorite item in the box was the Pixi shea butter lip balm in coral crush. It's very smooth and I love the pop of color on my warm skin tone and you can also use it as a cheek tint. 

And I really liked the Gilchrist & Soames body lotion. It is rich in marine extracts and really left my skin soft. It would be perfect to apply to feet after a at home pedicure.


I thought this was important to share and hope it alerts people on to the seriouness of protecting oneself against UVA and UVB.  Did you know that 90% of sign of aging are caused by sun damage.

If that doesn't scare you, one in five Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer in their lifetime. I recently had a little scare. I am very aware of any new spots or freckles on my body and I go to a Dermatologist every year for a entire body scan. I noticed that I had a freckle on my arm that had grown in the past year, from a small dot to a large circle (a little smaller than the eraser on a pencil).

So I made an appointment with my dermatologist and showed it to her. She indicated that freckles that have grown, change shape, size or color should be looked at. So I opted for her to remove the freckle from my arm and send it in the lab. I was lucky that it was fine. I know have a small cut out circle in my arm. I would much rather have this than risk it being anything else.

First thing in the morning after I wash my fave I apply sunscreen (sun or no sun) to my face, neck, hands, arms, and ears. I have been doing this everyday since I was 17. I wish I started sooner. But I will admit that I neglect my feet and legs from time to time. I bought a sunscreen spray to spray it on, so I should not have any excuse for the summer.

Young women are more likely than young men to get skin cancer. That doesn't just mean young women should be protecting themselves. We all should be. I have heard some women not liking sunscreen because they don't like the way it feels or looks on their screen. I have been using Olay All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 30 for years and it's my absolute favorite. I also use the version for sensitive skin.

And it's not just women. I am worried about men. I did quite a bit of research and I learned that men over 50 are more than twice as likely as women to develop and die from skin cancer.

They have much more sun exposure and they aren't likely to go a dermatologist like women are. They need to take care of their scalp, ears and noses. Please urge the men in your life to wear sunscreen, if they choose not have them wear a hat, sunglasses, and a shirt when outside.


Follow the ABCD rule:

Asymmetry The two halves of your mole do not look the same.
Border The edges of your mole are irregular, blurred or jagged.
Colour The colour of your mole is uneven, with more than one shade.
Diameter Your mole is wider than 6mm in diameter (the size of a pencil eraser).


No comments :