January 27, 2014

lemon poppy seed and blueberry pancakes

I wanted to break away from my weekend pancake favorites which usually entail my blueberry or chocolate chip. I stumpled upon this recipe. I love lemon poppy seed muffins, so I just had to create lemon poppy seed pancakes and I threw some blueberries in there because you can never have too many blueberries.
These are so easy to make.  Mix together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds, and 1 teaspoon lemon zest until well combined.

In a separate bowl stir in 3/4 cup of milk, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice together in a bowl. If you don't have vinegar, just put another tablespoon of lemon juice. Let stand 10 minutes to curdle. Whisk in 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Next, pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk a few times until the batter is combined. You want to make sure there are some lumps in the mix.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and lighlty brush a little butter or olive oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake into the skillet and cook until bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes over with a spatula and brown the other side, about 2 more minutes.

Just looking at these pictures I took over the weekend is making me crave these again. So light and fluffy.

Enjoy!

Yours truly,

Kim


No comments :