May 5, 2011

Evil Eyes



As some of you may know Yanni is Greek, his name might have given it away, and we are heading to a Greek Festival this weekend ! In celebration I made a new piece just for the occasion!

It's an Evil Eye ring to ward off the Evil Eye or bad luck. The evil eye is a look that is believed by many cultures to be able to cause injury or bad luck for the person at whom it is directed for reasons of envy or dislike. The term also refers to the power attributed to certain persons of inflicting injury or bad luck by such an envious or ill-wishing look.

The idea expressed by the term causes many cultures to pursue protective measures against it.

In Greece -  "The evil eye, known as μάτι (mati), "eye," is known to have been a fixture in Greece dating back to at least the 6th century BC, when it commonly appeared on drinking vessels. In Greece, the evil eye is cast away through the process of xematiasma (ξεμάτιασμα), whereby the "healer" silently recites a secret prayer passed over from an older relative of the opposite sex, usually a grandparent. Such prayers are revealed only under specific circumstances, for according to superstition those who reveal them indiscriminately lose their ability to cast off the evil eye. There are several regional versions of the prayer in question, a common one being: "Holy Virgin, Our Lady, if so and so is suffering of the evil eye release him/her of it" repeated three times. According to custom, if one is indeed afflicted with the evil eye, both victim and "healer" then start yawning profusely. The "healer" then performs the sign of the cross three times, and spits in the air three times.

5 comments :

GlorV1 said...

How very interesting. I don't want the "mati" eye. My step-mom used to say not to look at the baby sleeping because they would get the "evil eye." Hmmmm. Tee hee. :) Have fun at the festival. We should be having a Greek Festival soon. They always have different foods. Enjoy. I like your ring, by the way.

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

how neat, I never knew that about the evil eye

PeachyCheek said...

Hi Gloria! I agree, I don't want to get it either :) I got my first evil eye charm from Yanni and before that I knew little about it. That is interesting about what your step mom use to say:) good to know! I had a great time. I, of course, forgot my camera, but had plenty of treats and yummy food! Have a lovely weekend!

PeachyCheek said...

Hi Melissa - that's my middle name:) yeah, it's an interesting belief and I have seen the Greeks put it on just about everything from necklaces to charms to place on the door. Thanks for stopping by:)

GlorV1 said...

Kim, that's okay...take your time on finding out about the paint brush you used on the video. Take care.