April 7, 2013

homemade twix pie


I have been having a huge craving for sweet treats lately. Is it wrong to indulge in a sweet treat every night? Though, I have made some serious progress in my workout and healthy eating routines, I think I will always have a sweet tooth, a sweet tooth that will have a mind of its own, and that I will never be able to control.

One night I was innocently reading one of my favorite blogs, when I saw this twix bar idea on Fanciful Twist, and my sweet tooth just had to make it. I am so glad I listened to it, because it came out tasting exactly like a twix bar, but better because it is homemade, and when you make something yourself, with your very own hands its an accomplishment, especially, when it tastes good.

I used Yammie Noshery's Twix recipe and started by making the crust, which is a simple, but yummy shortbread cookie. I am going to be using this exact recipe in the very near future for some cookie cutters I recently bought. I can't wait to share with you what I am working on next.

All you need is: 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter (I used slightly less),  1/4 cup of sugar and 1 cup of flour. Then I combined them to and pressed it into a pie dish, you can press into a square dish, but I only had a round pie dish. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown at 300 degrees.





While the shortbread was baking, I made the homemade caramel, which is very easy to do. Sorry for the blurry photo, this was a quick shot, as I ran to get my camera while the caramel was rising. All you need is: 1 cup butter, 2 cups brown sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup (light), 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. I used the Fanciful Twist caramel recipe, but you can also melt caramels. I didn't use all the caramel, but I wanted a nice thick caramel layer.


Next, once the shortbread is out, I poured the caramel over the shortbread in a nice even layer to cover the entire shortbread crust, and then I put the dish in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes. And the caramel should be hardened a bit when you take it out, like below.

Next, the final part, melting the chocolate. I melted about 2.5 cups of chocolate chips in the microwave, about 4 intervals of 15 seconds, I would stir in between each interval. Depending on how chocolate you need and want and how large you pie dish is, mine is about 9 inches wide, you may need more chocolate to melt.



Pour the melted chocolate on the caramel layer.


Make a nice even layer of the chocolate over the hardened caramel layer.



Next put it in the fridge, until the chocolate layer hardens.




This tasted just like a real twix bar, but even better because it was homemade. It did taste a bit too sweet for me, so I am going to decrease the sugar a bit in the caramel going forward.

Enjoy this sweet treat!

No comments :