February 26, 2013

mexican inspired potato skins


 One of our favorite appetizers at our local Mexican restaurant are mexican inspired potato skins. This weekend I decided to give a try with left over beef I had from the night before when I made tacos.


I used 4 small/medium potatoes. I washed the potatoes clean and removed their "eyes". Next I lined a baking dish with foil, rubbed them with olive oil and baked in a 400°F oven for about an hour or until they are soft in the center (I simply poke them with a fork). If using a microwave, rub all over with olive oil and cook on the high setting for about 5 minutes per potato.


Remove the potatoes from the oven and let cool enough to handle. Cut in half horizontally.


I used a mini scooper, but you can use a spoon to carefully scoop out the insides. I am using the scooped out potato to make mash potatoes for the next day.


Increase the heat of the oven to 450°F. Brush olive oil all over the potato skins, outside and in. Sprinkle with salt. Place back in the oven in a roasting pan.

Cook for 5 minutes on one side, then flip the skins over and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.

 Sprinkle the insides with cheddar cheese, or your favorite cheese, beef, pepper. Return to the oven. Broil for an additional 2 minutes.


Enjoy!

No comments :