November 1, 2013

happy day of the dead

Happy Day of the Dead. For the next two days (November 1st and 2nd) we celebrate life and we celebrate those who have past on. I made a smaller alter with photos of loved ones and friends who have past on and decorated the alter with flowers like marigolds.

Marigolds have a significant meaning on Day of the Dead, it is said that if you leave a trial of marigolds from the grave to your home that your loved one will be able to follow you home. Traditionally, alters hold favorite foods, clothes, flowers, and other belongings. I added sugar skulls I painted and a few objects that have great meaning to me and always remind me of those who have past, and I burn a few candles.
To our memories and to making new ones. Feliz dia de los muertos!

2 comments :

Dee said...

What a beautiful way to pay tribute to a loved one.

PeachyCheek said...

Hi Dee - Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your kind comment!